Thursday, May 21, 2009

Welcome Back, Summer

Whoa, it has been a long time since I've written here! What can I say, I've been a very busy boy :) But now that the football league and dodgeball league have come and gone, I'm going to have a little more time on my hands. AKA: More time for my hands to be in the kitchen!

Last night was the first night I have cooked in a while. It made me really miss it! I made a delicious open-faced tuna sandwich. I don't really know what to call it, but I'll tell you how to do it and you can call it whatever you want!

(Actually, I'm totes calling it the Sherry Baby Tuna Sandwich, cuz that song popped into my head when I was writing out the recipe...)

Ingredients

1 medium yellow onion
1 1/2 tbs olive oil
1/4 cup sherry vinegar
1 tbs dijon mustard (I used Grey Poupon)
1 tbs chopped fresh thyme
1 can white chunk tuna in oil (or water would be fine too)
1 whole wheat english muffin
1 slice reduced fat swiss cheese

First add the oil to a pan and heat over medium. Chop your onion into long strips (not rings) and by the time you're done your oil will be heated. Add the onion and saute until tender and beginning to carmelize, about 5 minutes.

Add the sherry vinegar, mustard, and thyme. Lower heat to medium-low and let the juices simmer until they have reduced to a thick sauce-like quality, about 10 minutes.

Open English muffin. Drain tuna, and flake on top of muffin. Add your sherry mustard onion mixture, and top with the swiss cheese. Pop in the microwave for about 30-45 seconds, or until your cheese is melted.

Super simple and shockingly delicious!

And CHEAP. F'reals, a can of tuna is, what, $1.19? An onion is $0.40? Sure, the bottle of vinegar was about $4 (I didn't have any on hand and didn't think balsamic would taste good...) but I only used a little bit... Let's say $0.70 worth!

That's an awesome, healthy, tasty and affordable dinner no one should be able to argue with :)

I highly recommend this!

No comments: